Who is your biggest career influence?
My dad...he instilled in me from a young age the work ethic required to be a professional as well as the self-belief to chase my dream. When we were young, I think I felt at the time my dad made us boys make huge sacrifices as kids/teens. We trained hard, we worked hard while others around us were being normal teens. But looking back, I can now see why he did it and I am glad he did it as I don’t think I would be in the position I am today as an International rugby player. My advice to youngsters is that if you want to achieve big goals, then that hard work, that belief, those work ethics need to begin at a very early age.
What are your two favorite Balance Products?
- 100% Whey, I love that it contains no artificial flavours, colour, sweeteners or preservatives so I know exactly what is going in to my body, great for my pre and post work out shakes.
Hobbies outside of training & competition?
- Spending time with family. I have two young boys so I am already well on my way to starting a future All Black front row! We live in Christchurch and I love to ease of being able to do family related activity on my time off down there. My family and my wife’s family all live there and we are all pretty close which is awesome. Family is a huge support network for me, and have helped me along the way to achieve my goals.
- Well believe it or not, training and lifting weights on my down time is my passion and hobby! I find it a real release from rugby. There is such a skill, science and technique to it and I believe by perfecting and excelling at lifting weights, definitely helps me on the rugby field. I have actually set up a couple of specialised gym’s with my brother, father and sister called Franks Brothers Gym and we specialise in cross fit and lifting training. This is definitely a passion of mine and probably a field where I will end up in post rugby.
What are 3 training tips you would give to aspiring athletes?
- Be clear what your goal or vision is…what you want to be.
- Put a plan in place to achieve it. Surround yourself in experts and the best people to help you achieve those goals, step by step.
- Live it....never give up.